Monday, August 14, 2006

Equality - Truth or Myth?

Well, the title may sound esoteric to some.

There are two viewpoints that I'm thinking of - "material" and "spiritual" viewpoints.

"Spiritually", all are equal, there's no second thought. I firmly believe and follow Advaita.

But "Materially" (I mean in terms of materialistic aspirations and related actions), I don't believe in equality. In that case, equality is the bane for growth. When two things are seen equal, there's no competetion among them, so no real growth. For example, when I certainly know that one of my friend or team member is my EQUAL, I don't care much; I keep doing things as I used to. But it's only when I see that I'm not equal to some one and I'm less capable than him, I get fired up and attempt at bigger, better things. Similarly, when I see some one not as capable as me, I make an attempt to bring that person upto my level. (It's the classic moon-earth relationship - moon always trying to fall into earth but missing it every time, thus keeping both going!)

My spiritual side always says that the person who dislikes me is also the same as me - we both are sparks of same spiritual fire. But my material side never accepts some one as better than me if he's REALLY not better.

You may think what's all this non-sense. But you know, my next post may be about Communism and Captitalism. :)

No comments: